LAST UPDATED: November 2010
By using any portion of the Service, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Policy. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of this Policy, please do not use the Service. We reserve the right to change this Policy without prior notice. You can determine when this Policy was last revised by referring to the "LAST UPDATED" legend at the top of this page. Any changes to our Policy will become effective upon our posting of the revised Policy on the Service. Use of the Service following such changes constitutes your acceptance of the revised Policy then in effect.
The Service is controlled and operated by Capitol BBQ from the United States, and is not intended to subject Capitol BBQ to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.
Note Regarding the Use of the Service by Children: The Service is not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18), and we request that such individuals do not provide Personally Identifiable Information through the Service.
1. What Types of Information Does Capitol BBQ Collect From Me?
Capitol BBQ gathers two basic types of information through the Service: "Personally Identifiable Information" (or "PII") and "Non-Personally Identifiable Information" (or "NonPII"). Personally Identifiable Information is information that identifies you as an individual. Non-Personally Identifiable Information is aggregated information, demographic information, and any other information that does not reveal your specific identity.
- Personally Identifiable Information. You do not have to provide PII to use the Service. However, in order for you to take advantage of particular opportunities provided through the Service (for example, to make a purchase online), we may require that you furnish PII. We collect PII from you through the Service, such as your user name, email address, shipping address, billing address and other information necessary to fulfill the order you submitted to us online.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information. When you visit and interact with the Service, Capitol BBQ and third-parties with whom Capitol BBQ has contracted to provide services to Capitol BBQ may collect Non-PII (for example, a catalog of the Service pages you visited). Non-PII is generally collected through the Service from five different sources: server log files, environmental variables, cookies, pixel tags and other similar technologies and information that you voluntarily provide.
- Server Log Files. Your Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This number is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Service, along with the time(s) of your visit(s) and the page(s) that you visited. We use your IP address, and the IP addresses of all users, for purposes such as calculating Service usage levels, helping diagnose problems with the Service's servers, and administering the Service. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many web sites.
- Environmental Variables. We and our service providers may also collect certain environmental variables, such as your MAC address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, OS version, Internet browser, and Internet browser version. These environmental variables are collected by most browsers, and can be used to optimize your experience on the Service.
- Pixel Tags. We and our service providers may also use so-called "pixel tags," "web beacons," "clear GIFs" or similar means (collectively, "Pixel Tags") in connection with some Service pages and HTML-formatted e-mail messages to, among other things, compile aggregate statistics about Service usage and response rates. A Pixel Tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel (1x1), that is ordinarily not visible to Service visitors and may be associated with Cookies on the visitors’ hard drives. Pixel Tags allow us to count users who have visited certain pages of the Service, to deliver branded services, and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or advertising campaigns. When used in HTML-formatted e-mail messages, Pixel Tags can tell the sender whether and when the e-mail has been opened.
- Information That You Voluntarily Provide. Capitol BBQ also collects Non-PII (e.g., your site feedback, contact us note, BBQ Catering, Commercial Sales) when you voluntarily provide such information to us. When such information is not combined with any PII, such information is considered to be Non-PII, as it does not personally identify you or any other user. Additionally, we may aggregate PII in a manner such that the end product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Service, for example, by using PII to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code. Such aggregate information is considered Non-PII for purposes of this Policy.
- How Does Capitol BBQ Use Information Collected From Me?
- Personally Identifiable Information. We may use your PII in the following ways:
- Fulfillment of Requests. Capitol BBQ may use your PII to fulfill the purpose for which such PII was provided (e.g., to fulfill an order submitted by you online);
- Administrative Communications. From time to time, in our sole discretion, we may use your PII to send to you important information regarding the Service, or changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information may be important to your use of the Service, you may not opt-out of receiving such communications;
- Other Communications. If you expressly opt-in, we may use your PII to send you our newsletter or to inform you of products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you subsequently change your mind and would prefer that we do not send marketing related emails to you, please see Section 4 ("Opt-Out") below;
- Promotions. We may operate sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions (collectively, "Promotions") through the Site. We typically ask you for certain PII when you enter and, if applicable, win a prize. You should carefully review the rules, if any, of each Promotion in which you participate through the Site, as they may contain additional important information about Capitol BBQ’s use of your PII. To the extent that the terms and conditions of such rules concerning the treatment of your PII conflict with this Policy, the terms and conditions of such rules shall control;
- Internal Business Purposes. We may also use your PII for our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, enhancing our Service, improving our services and identifying usage trends; and
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information. Because NonPII does not personally identify you, we may use such information for any purpose.
- In addition, we reserve the right to share such NonPII, which does not personally identify you with third-parties for any purpose. For example, we may allow you to participate in anonymous, voluntary surveys through the Service, and we may share the results of such surveys with third parties in a non-personally identifiable manner.
- In some instances, we may combine NonPII with PII (such as embedding email addresses in cookies). If we do combine any NonPII with PII, the combined information will be treated by us as PII hereunder as long as it is so combined (see Section 2. above).
3. How Is Personally Identifiable Information Collected on the Service Disclosed?
- Third Party Service Providers. We work with third parties who provide services including but not limited to data analysis, website hosting, other similar services and other services of an administrative nature. We reserve the right to share your PII with such third parties for the purpose of enabling these third parties to provide such services.
- Third Party Communications. If you expressly opt-in, we may share your PII with third parties to allow them to contact you regarding products, programs, services and promotions that they believe may be of interest to you. If you subsequently change your mind and would prefer that we do not share your information with such third parties for such third parties’ marketing purposes, please see Section 4 ("Opt-Out") below.
- Forums and Message Boards. As a service to our users, Capitol BBQ may offer message boards, blogs, online discussions and other public forums (each a “Forum”) where users with similar interests can share information, post questions and encourage one another to Master the Art of BBQ™. Please note that any information (including PII and other information) that you reveal in a Forum is by design open to the public and is not a private, secure service. We urge you to exercise discretion and think carefully before disclosing any PII or other information in any Forum. What you have written and posted to the Forum may be seen, disclosed to or collected by third parties and may be used by others in ways we are unable to control or predict, including to contact you for unauthorized purposes. As with any public forum on any site, this information may also appear in third-party search engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE OF ANY PII OR OTHER INFORMATION YOU VOLUNTARILY DISCLOSE THROUGH A FORUM.
- Promotions. We reserve the right to share the PII you provide in connection with Promotions with third parties sponsors of such Promotions (irrespective of whether such Promotions are hosted by us), or otherwise in accordance with the rules applicable to such Promotion. You should carefully review the rules, if any, of each Promotion in which you participate through the Site, as they may contain additional important information about a Sponsor's or other third-parties’ use of your PII. To the extent that the terms and conditions of such rules concerning the treatment of your PII conflict with this Policy, the terms and conditions of such rules shall control.
- Assignment. We reserve the right to transfer any and all information that we collect from Service users to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of Capitol BBQ’s business, assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
4. Other Important Notices Regarding Our Privacy Practices.
- Security. We have security measures and tools, such as firewalls, in place to help protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, although we strive to protect your PII, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us through or in connection with the Service or that is stored by us. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), you must immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with Section 4 ("Contacting Us,") below.
- i. As noted above, if you expressly opt-in, we may send you marketing-related e-mail messages. If you do not want to receive such marketing-related e-mails from us in the future, you may opt-out of receiving such marketing-related e-mails by sending us an e-mail at email@example.com.
- ii. Additionally, if you supply us with your postal address on-line you may receive periodic mailings from us with information on new products and services or upcoming events. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, you may opt-out of such mailings by sending us an e-mail containing the exact name and address that you signed up with at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- iii. Additionally, as noted above, if you expressly opt-in, we may share your PII with third-parties for their marketing purposes. If, going forward, you do not want us to share your e-mail address with third parties for such third parties’ marketing purposes, you may opt-out of such sharing by sending us an e-mail at email@example.com.
- In each case, please clearly state whether you are opting out of receiving (A) marketing related e-mails from us, (B) postal mail from us, or (C) sharing your e-mail address with third parties for such third parties’ marketing purposes. Please note, however, that if you opt-out as described above, such opt-out will apply only with respect to the PII associated with the particular e-mail address that you use to send us your opt-out request. If you have more than one e-mail address registered with us, please opt-out using each e-mail address that you have registered with us.
- We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out as described above, we will not be able to remove your PII from the databases of third parties with which we have already shared your PII (i.e., to which we have already provided your PII as of the date that we implement your opt-out request). If you wish to cease receiving marketing-related e-mails from such third parties, please contact such third parties directly or utilize any opt-out mechanisms set forth in their respective privacy policies or marketing-related e-mails.
- Changing or Removing Your PII. If you would like to review, correct, update or suppress PII that you have previously provided to us through the Service, you may do so by logging into your account and making such changes.
- Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed therefrom. We also reserve the right, from time to time, to re-contact former users of the Service. Finally, we are not responsible for removing information from the databases of third-parties with whom we have already shared your PII.
- Jurisdictional Issues. Capitol BBQ does not represent or warrant that the Service, or any part thereof, is appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction. Those who choose to access the Service do so on their own initiative and at their own risk, and are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations. We may limit the Service's availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion. By using the Service and submitting any Personally Identifiable Information, you acknowledge that the Service is subject to United States law, consent to the transfer of Personally Identifiable Information to the United States.
- Contacting Us. If you have any questions regarding this Policy, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that e-mail communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly you should not include credit card information or other sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence with us.
Copyright © 2007-2011 Capitol BBQ, LLC. All rights reserved.